Reflection


Have you ever heard the expression, good things come to those who wait?  I was thinking of how and what to post, in my return to blogging for One Step In Faith, and this is the expression that instantly came to mind.  So much has happened in the last few months, so many amazing details.  As I was marveling on how blessed I feel to have been included in this journey by God, it brought me into a reflection of the last decade of our lives together.  You know the saying; “it goes by in a flash”.  It really doesn’t feel that way when you are there in the depths of tragedy, heartache, loss, anger, and all that trickles from a time of hurting.  But, when you are reflecting on the past, regardless of actual time passed, it seems like it was just yesterday and yet forever ago all in the same moment.  Do you know what I mean?  Anyway, here I was reflecting on our lives throughout the years…and because it was still October, I began to reflect on the significance of October in our family.  If you know me at all, you know…October has some amazing meaning.  It is a month which provides an annual reminder of great love and loss.  Eleven years ago Troy and I shared in the birth of two beautiful children, Taylor and Violet.  Taylor is an incredible little man, for whom we are most certainly better parents for having been blessed to have him in our lives.  That isn’t just a line, I really mean it.  He has a heart no words could really describe.  He has a heart to teach, and he teaches me daily about forgiveness, kindness, serving, and being there for his siblings – no matter what.  We are so blessed to have him.  And then, there is our sweet little Violet.  Violet’s tiny life slipped away from this world into the arms of Jesus after an hour and half with us.  We have been open from the beginning, Violet was the original star thrower.  Her life, regardless of how short, gave us our life.  God used her precious little life to set us onto a course of more blessing than I would ever know or desire to ask.  You know, it didn’t really occur to me, until I was having this moment of reflection…TIMING.  This takes me back to my original statement of good things come to those who wait.  A group of friends joined us on a trip to Ghana this past February.  In order to raise funds, we did countless fundraisers.  It was a fundraiser we were planning that took a hypothetical idea of starting a non-profit to officially launching One Step In Faith.  As it turned out, One Step In Faith hit the public October 2012 - 10 years after losing Violet (and 10 years of life with Taylor, of course).  I don’t know, maybe I’m just too sentimental, but hum…10 years.  That seems amazing, how round and perfect that number is.  And, the same month.  It wasn’t planned to be tied to their birth/her death, it just was. 

Today, reflecting back, I can’t tell you how blessed we feel to have been included in this little segment of God’s work in the world.  If you are wondering, where is God taking me on this journey…why am I going through all these experiences (the good, bad, and the ugly)…be patient and remember to always take time to reflect.  Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for Him to act.  Psalms 37:7.  We spent a lot of time seeking peace for what we had gone through, and in the end…giving God complete control and following where He leads because we trusted He wants what is best for us, we have had the most peace and joy than ever before in our lives.  Hey, life isn’t a piece of cake.  But, it isn’t empty or sour.  It is full and sweet, even in the hard times.  Reflect…it helps to be reminded of where you were, where you are and how God brought you through.  If you are struggling with where is God…ask Him…give control to Him.  You won’t regret it!

 

So…what’s up with One Step in Faith and our kids…I’ll post something in a bit.  A new posting about each child.  Amazing things…hopefully you will be saying, good things come to those who wait…(feeling blessed by hearing the good news updates).

No comments:

Post a Comment